Thursday, March 12, 2009

An Investigation of Malware Protection in Irish SMEs

I've (finally!) got around to making the dissertation I wrote for my Masters in 2004/5 publicly available. The title is (as you might have guessed) "An Investigation of Malware Protection in Irish SMEs".

If you're interested, you can access it here.

The origins of the dissertation are rooted in the fact that there was much research done on malware protection in large international companies, but little or no research related to Irish SMEs. The situation has changed somewhat these day with the availability ISSA / UCD Irish Cybercrime Surveys.

I discovered that Irish SMEs were being negatively affected by malware infections. Best practice malware defences were not being implemented in part due to practical limitations such as lack of human resources and lack of knowledge. I suspect little has changed.

B

No comments: